Do you ever feel like you are dragging your feet a little bit more during the day? If it is happening during the cold months, you may have the winter blues.
Many people begin feeling the wintertime blues once the days start getting shorter. But after the first part of the year it can get worse due to after holiday let-down.
Having less energy and momentum can cause you to struggle to complete work assignments you’d normally fly through with ease. However, the good news is that there are some things you can do to fight the winter blues and raise productivity at work.
1. Let in the Light
Letting in sunlight is one of the winter blues fighters to raise productivity at work. In fact, it’s one of the recommendations people with seasonal affective disorder, or SAD, usually get.
Although SAD only affects a minority of people, getting more sunshine can help with lowered serotonin and melatonin levels. If it helps those with a clinical disorder it certainly won’t harm you to try getting more sunlight as well.
To increase your exposure to sunlight, work near windows with open shades and curtains. If you can, spend more time out of doors whenever the sun is shining.
2. Increase the Fun in Your Day
Another one of the winter blues fighters to raise productivity at work is to add some fun to your day. Breaking up the same old routines can make work more interesting.
When you have fun at work and want to be there, you take a more active role in everything you do. In turn, this increases your productivity.
Here are a few fun things to try:
- Scent – To pep you up, light a citrus or mint scented candle, making sure it isn’t against building fire codes. If so, diffuse oils instead. Just make sure no one around you is allergic or would have health issues first.
- Potluck – If you work in a large business, have a work potluck or bring snacks. You could do it formally by scheduling it on a shared calendar, or just pick a day and bring enough goodies for everyone. This breaks up the monotony at work and gives everyone something to look forward to.
- Drinks – You could meet your co-workers or other friends for a few cocktails after you get off work. This may make you work harder all day in an effort to speed up the clock.
- Motivational Quotes – Type a bunch of motivational quotes on little piece of paper similar to what you’d find in a fortune cookie. Lay them on someone else’s desk when they aren’t looking.
3. Change Your Work Environment
If you are lucky enough to be in control of your own work environment, make some changes. Add wallpaper, paint, and plants or just change a few pictures. You could also dust and put a few things away that you’ve simply set to the side. If you have items that need to be thrown out or shredded, take the time to get rid of them properly and free up some space on your desk.
When you give your space a sprucing up it makes things friendlier and fresh. These positive changes can be another of the winter blues fighters to raise productivity at work.
Winter blues do happen for many people each year. But you can use the winter blues fighters to raise productivity at work and get more done each day. Before you know it, the sun will shine again.